The Buddy-Girl blog is our place to talk graphic design, express our opinions, thoughts, new creations, Buddy-Girl Greetings upcoming events, design tips and any personal or random thoughts that we might have. We would love any and all feedback and comments anybody might have for us and I hope you enjoy reading our blog.
We are located in - Kitsap County, 98312

I will try to update my blog as often as I can. Fair warning, I love to write, but I'm a horrible typer and my grammar skills are even worst (worse). So my apologies way in advance, Sorry! Which is actually a very common trait in most graphic designers and artists.

Friday, May 9, 2008

How to Make Money as an Artist/Designer: Part 2 (Cold Calls and More Networking)

Finding work is hard work, and just because you have the training, the experience, and a will to work; doesn’t mean you will get work. Learning how to network and make cold calls is a must.

(The following tips are mainly for freelance artist/designers, people with product to sell or people that are looking for side income, these tips may or may not be helpful to someone looking for a full-time design job.)

Networking skills and cold calling skills are important tools to gain new clients. I’ve already mention how important it is to network, word of month is the cheapest and most effective form of advertising. But, consistently expanding your network can be troublesome. Joining a local networking groups like BNI or your local Chamber of Commerce can be very helpful. These are organizations that are always getting new members and who really want to scratch your back in hopes that someday you can scratch theirs. Some of these organizations also cost money to join, so be aware.

You can, also find non-profit groups that specialize in helping small business, or people that are self-employed. I’m a proud member of WA Cash (it says so on my blog), it’s a great organization that specialize in micro lending; they also hold bi/monthly meetings so people can learn, network, and stay on track. (I love it, I go to almost every meeting and I have gotten at lot of jobs and sold lots of BGG products).

There are, also online networking, share and peer groups like MySpace, Yahoo Groups, FaceBook, and Bebo although mostly known for their popular with teenagers these sites have been a proven marketing tool for people, products, and business looking for exposure. You can, also look at joining online business groups with Google or MSNLive, and there are also small groups that are gear towards your area, your services, income, race, sex, and age you can join, you just have to look for them. So, check out your local message boards or Google networking groups in your area and see what you can find.

Cold calling, in which you pick up the phone or walk into someone’s place of business and try to sell them on your services; is another way to drum-up business. But to do so, you have to have your “game down tight”, in other words you have to be good at talking to people and ready to answer questions about all the services and/or products you provide. (I’m not good at talking to strangers about my accomplishments, hard to believe, I know but blogging is 10 times easier than walking up to a stranger and trying to convince them to buy my cards. But, in my defense blogging is just another form networking.)

Some, basic tips to remember before making a cold call are (1) only do it between 9am-5pm on weekdays (2) Always be prepared, have your 30 sec “about you” speech down (3) always be friendly (4) set small goals for yourself, (you want a sale, yes) but make that should be your last goal; and your first goal to just get a hold of the person in charge. (5) always leave them with a reliable way to contact you back. (6) Although, cold calling can be successfully, it can also annoy people, so be careful. I’m not a big fan of cold calls, but I know it can be a effective tool and some people actually have a natural talent for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Special Request...

Please let me know, when you find spelling or other grammar errors on my blog, so I may fix them right away. Thanks. Helena
Buddy-Girl Greetings is a proud member of Kitsap's Best and WA CASH

We are located in Bremerton, WA - Kitsap County, 98312