The Buddy-Girl blog is our place to talk graphic design, express our opinions, thoughts, new creations, Buddy-Girl Greetings upcoming events, design tips and any personal or random thoughts that we might have. We would love any and all feedback and comments anybody might have for us and I hope you enjoy reading our blog.
We are located in - Kitsap County, 98312

I will try to update my blog as often as I can. Fair warning, I love to write, but I'm a horrible typer and my grammar skills are even worst (worse). So my apologies way in advance, Sorry! Which is actually a very common trait in most graphic designers and artists.

Sunday, June 1, 2008

My Newest Obsession: The Twilight Series

First off, I would like to say, I finally beat Zelda: Twilight Princess.I didn’t finish the cave of ordeals or find all the popes, but I did at least finish the main game, I’m so proud of myself. I even did it in time to get Mario Kart Wii which is awesome; it’s also harder than all the other Mario Karts. But, Mario isn’t what I’ve been obsessing about for the last few weeks. It really started a few months ago, I was reading on yahoo (like I always do) about new movies and TV shows coming soon and I came across this new movie that just started shooting call “Twilight” (I know, I totally have a thing for that word, don’t I) it’s based on a book by Stephenie Meyer. It’s about a girl who falls in love with a vampire. I love a good romance and vampires are so cool, so, I made a mental note of it (which of course means I forget about it).

Then a few weeks ago, yahoo had a teaser trailer for the Twilight and I clicked on it, it was good, but nothing great. What really got me was the fact that the movies doesn’t come out until Dec. 12th, I thought to myself why are they promoting this movie so much, what’s the big freaking deal, it doesn’t have any major star, not that Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson aren’t great, but if you don’t tell someone that she was Jodie Foster’s daughter in “Panic Room” or that he was that guy who stole Harry’s girl and died at the end of the 4th Harry Porter movie, they wouldn’t have any idea who you were talking about and you still might have to do a imdatabase search. Anyways, the book series is something of a phenomenon, not as big as Harry Potter but if you are a teenage girl it might be just as awesome, to you. So, I made another mental note of the title and author and went to the store, this time I check it out right away because I wanted to know what the big deal was. Boy, do I understand it now, it a pretty easy ready, it’s for young adult (hey, don’t look at me that way, I watch cartoons and read comic books, I think a book from the young adult section isn’t a big stretch for an almost 30 year old).

"Twilight" isn't your typical vampire story, in the sense that people are killed left and right and someone has to do something about it. Actually, only person dies in the 1st book and we don’t even get to read how it happens. What grabs a person about this series and why I think it’s such a hit with girl is that the author is so descriptive she describe everything from the point of view of the teenage main character Bella (Isabella) Swan we get to feel and see everything, she does, it’s almost as if you are her. And you can easily relate to how she feels about moving to a small town, her parents, being the new kid; how see feels when her future love interest for no reason that she can tell, just is hateful towards her. You can also relate to her awkwardness and clumsiness and it’s just, so, cute how the love story progresses. Although, it's not a saga in which you learn some great moral lesson, most of the characters as pretty selfish to be honest with you, but I think that's part of the series charm, to be so catch up into ones self, would be nice every now and again. I read the first book in a week and I would have been done sooner, but I was trying my hardest to prolong it, and soon as I finished it, I had to get the next book "New Moon" which I did on a Saturday and by Tuesday I was done, again I tried my hardest to prolong it long as I could, I just couldn’t put it down. I’ve even been looking on the internet to found all the info I could on the series, if you go stephienemeyer.com there is a lot of bonus materials including parts of saga from the point of views of different characters. I brought the 3rd book "Eclipse" that Thursday after I finished the 2nd book and by that Saturday I was done (it’s killing me to have to wait for the 4th book).

I know, people are going to totally hate me for this, but I have to say that I loved “New Moon”, I’m mad crazy about Jacob Black. I hope more than anything that the first movie makes enough of an impact so that they can make the rest of the books into movies, so I can see Jacob Black in action, (please oh please, don’t let it suck and be like that Blood and Chocolate movie) I can already see from the Twilight trailer that there are some difference but it’s not a nearly as off as Blood and Chocolate was from the book.

*Side Note, "Blood and Chocolate"book good, the movie very bad, I guess if you haven’t read the book first than movie might not be so bad. I didn’t even want to see the movie because, it was so off from the book, just with the fact they aged her and moved her out of small town setting. I usually, prefer reading a book after I've seen the movie, that way I feel like I’m gaining info and not losing info.

My only concern with the "Twilight" movie (and hopefully future movies) is when it comes to Jacob Black, the actor they got to play him, Taylor Lautner (I have nothing against the kid). I think he’s looks perfect for the part of Jacob in “Twilight”. But if they make the rest of the books into movies, I don’t think he can physically handle the part of Jake, as the books go on Jake keeps getting bigger and bigger, by the end of the 3rd book, he’s 6’7”. I don’t care how much Taylor bulks up for the role, he is not going to reach 6’7”. I guess, with camera tricks they will be able to do something, but still. I could see it, if his size wasn’t a big deal in the books, if it was only mentioned in passing, but it’s constantly brought up throughout the book, that everyone compared to Jake looks like a doll.

Anyways, as you can tell I totally recommend reading the series. It’s funny, cute, and addictive, it’s a totally soap opera like “Dark Shadows” or “Passions”. It reminds me of that Hana Kimi series I told you about before; but, it’s probably closer to “Peach Girl” a anime and manga series about a girl who’s in love with 2 guys and the evil chick that tries to make her life miserable. “Peach Girl” has the same OMG they are so cute factor, but the main characters aren't nearly as selfish as they are in "Twilight", well most of them aren't. I almost didn’t finish the "Peach Girl" because by the end of disc 1, I get so tired of the evil chick Sae (she really is a *itch!) that I can’t stand to watch her, but it ended on a cliffhanger and I just had to watch the next one and I’m gal I did, it was a good series and another total soap opera.

I’m so obsessed, I loved it, bring on books 4 Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, Book 4) due out Aug 2, 2008!

1 comment:

A Special Request...

Please let me know, when you find spelling or other grammar errors on my blog, so I may fix them right away. Thanks. Helena
Buddy-Girl Greetings is a proud member of Kitsap's Best and WA CASH

We are located in Bremerton, WA - Kitsap County, 98312