The Buddy-Girl blog is our place to talk graphic design, express our opinions, thoughts, new creations, Buddy-Girl Greetings upcoming events, design tips and any personal or random thoughts that we might have. We would love any and all feedback and comments anybody might have for us and I hope you enjoy reading our blog.
We are located in - Kitsap County, 98312

I will try to update my blog as often as I can. Fair warning, I love to write, but I'm a horrible typer and my grammar skills are even worst (worse). So my apologies way in advance, Sorry! Which is actually a very common trait in most graphic designers and artists.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Side Thought: Time Management Advice

One of the hardest things for me has always been time management, so my advice, give yourself time for trial and error, for procrastination if you know you do that. Set deadlines for yourself; write these deadlines down on a calendar or sheet and place it somewhere you can see it staring you in the face. Keep in mind everything that usually affects your working habits, family, friends, job, TV shows, laziness, etc. You don’t have to cut these things out of your life, just down a little, and work with them instead of around them.

Personally, I’m a huge TV fan and I only get to hangout with family and friends on the weekends, plus my part-time job and the freelance work I do when I get it. And, did I mention I’m a huge procrastinator.

So, to combat this I tend to work out blocks of TV time for only the must see prime time shows Heroes, Gilmore Girls (I miss you), Smallville, the list goes on, I give myself 3 hours or less a night. And I love the fact, that now you can watch a lot of shows online so, now I can work during a show I like and watch it later when I have free-time or need a brain break, plus you get fewer commercial breaks. And, I hate reruns so I have a lot more time in the off season. All this, leaves me with time before my shows and time after my shows to work.

To deal with family and friends, I also block out time the best I can; I give at least one day of the weekend to visiting people. Which day depends on how much and when the work needs to be done by. I try to figure this out by Thursday night. If, I’m leaving town for the weekend, I tend to take work with me and work it in when I can. I didn’t stress on not getting everything done on these trips, just more than I would if I hadn’t taken it with me. So, when everyone else is just watching TV or doing there own thing, I get in a little work. When it comes to meeting deadlines if I have to miss an outing with my family or friends, then I just miss that out. The best advice I can give about making time for family and friends is to just plan it into your schedule, make the plans for dinner and a movie 1-3 weeks in advance, keep remaining yourself of said plans as much a possible, that way your working towards dinner and a movie and not dropping everything to go out to dinner and a movie.

And, if you are just lazy, then remember that you are, if you need something done by Monday than tell yourself that it’s due Sunday. If you know that something takes an hour or so for you to do it, then give yourself 2-3 hours to do it. If a client/customer ask for something by the 15th tell them you will try, but it might be the 16th or 17th before you have it done. If you are a big procrastinator then give yourself time to procrastinate. It also helps to do the project is parts, a little now, a little later, that way it slowly gets done, something is always better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Special Request...

Please let me know, when you find spelling or other grammar errors on my blog, so I may fix them right away. Thanks. Helena
Buddy-Girl Greetings is a proud member of Kitsap's Best and WA CASH

We are located in Bremerton, WA - Kitsap County, 98312